First time here?  You may wish to take a look at the site index for a list of all posts, see the most popular content, or go to a random post.  You can subscribe to the site feed to be kept up to date on the latest posts as they are made.  If you want to contact me for any reason at all, please leave a comment after any post or send me an email.

Search This Blog

2009-06-13

Album Spotlight: Nine Chip Nails - An 8bc NIN Tribute

If you're a fan of video game music or Nine Inch Nails, this one is for you (even moreso if you love both). Nine Chip Nails - An 8bc NIN Tribute is a collection of 6 Nine Inch Nails covers done in chiptune style. I grew up with the 8-bit sounds of the original NES and Game Boy, and regular readers of this blog will know that I am a big fan of both Nine Inch Nails and video games, so this collection is right up my alley.

The songs on Nine Chip Nails are divided evenly between instrumental and vocal songs. I found it a little more difficult to get into the vocal songs, mainly because there is such a huge contrast between the sounds of the vocals and the instrumentation; however, after a few listens I found myself enjoying both types of songs equally. Overall, I think Little-scale's instrumental rendition of "The Day the World Went Away" is my favourite of the bunch, while SCSI's "Down In It" is my favourite vocal track - the vocalist really did a great job with this early NIN song. "Hurt" is also done quite well by Hartfelt, and I really like the instrumental versions of "Heresy" and "Survivalism".

Nine Chip Nails can be downloaded from the R-Bot Records page; the link to the 27.8 MB zip file is near the bottom of the page. This is certainly one of the more unorthodox collections of covers that I've ever heard, but it's done so well that I would love to hear more like it. The description of the album contains a link to the 8bitcollective site; I haven't explored that site yet, but based on the strength of this album, it's something I'm planning to do soon. If I find anything really noteworthy there, I'll be sure to highlight it on this blog in the future. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these Nine Inch Nails covers. Happy listening!

URLs:
http://www.rbrecords.kit.net/release.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptune
http://8bitcollective.com/

No comments: