First time here?  You may wish to take a look at the site index for a list of all posts, see the most popular content, or go to a random post.  You can subscribe to the site feed to be kept up to date on the latest posts as they are made.  If you want to contact me for any reason at all, please leave a comment after any post or send me an email.

Search This Blog

2010-06-11

[Guest Post] Wilco

Back in 2008, when this blog was in its infancy, my brother Mike wrote a few posts for me, as he is really into free music as well.  I put the Metallica post up in May of that year, and then didn't post anything else on the blog until September.  By that time I didn't know if the links in his posts would still be valid, so I ended up not doing anything with them (I think the fact that I haven't listened to anything by those bands also had something to do with it, which is foolish when the music is free to download).  I've felt really bad about that, as they are very well written and deserve to be on this blog, so recently I decided to put them up in some form or another, even if the links no longer worked.  Fortunately, they do still work, so for the next couple of weeks I'm going to tale a little break and let Mike do most of the work on this blog (or rather, use the work that he did more than two years ago the way it should have been used in the first place).

My quest for free music, quite happily, led me to a band called Wilco a few months ago. I had read a blurb about them in Guitar World many years ago, at which point they were being touted as a great alt-country or “Americana” band. Alt-country? Americana? As far as I can tell, if a band plays music that is somewhat similar to country/folk music of the past but the members don't wear cowboy hats or come from the South, it's alt-country. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. And I’m really not sure what “Americana” means as applied to a band. I guess the labels put on Wilco don't tell you a whole lot.

The More Like the Moon EP is nothing more than six really good songs. These guys are talented songwriters and musicians. I don't listen to the radio EVER, not even sometimes. But if I did, I would complain that Wilco was not on the radio like they should be. And you can read the story about their bizarre record company fiasco on Wikipedia. But for whatever reason, they started offering this EP for free in 2003, and they made at least one new fan because of it.

I won’t describe the songs or anything like that, because frankly you can download them in 2 minutes and then listen to them in about 20. Most of it is laid back and really good! They seem to have released the EP under different names with different covers, and they let you choose which one you’d like.

So…Americana? Alt-Country? Whatever. How about “good music”? And hey, it sure does make you wanna go out and buy a Wilco album, doesn't it? Mission accomplished. Score one for totally free music!

Links
1. Official website: http://www.wilcoworld.net/
2. Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilco
3. More Like the Moon EP: http://wilcoworld.net/records/bonus/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your post and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts.Thanks for all your great posts.



music tv

Unknown said...

I represent www.ClassicalConnect.com, a virtual concert hall and the biggest searchable collection of classical music on the Internet.

All our performances are either uploaded by professional musicians or sent to us by those who own legal rights for those performances. We feature over 2000 performances of classical music masterpieces and that number is constantly growing.

I came across your site and thought you might be interested in either exchanging links, or finding some other mutually beneficial opportunities. I am open to your suggestions and look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Business Development
www.ClassicalConnect.com